Inernational Expert/Specialist on Diaspora Communication and Outreach
Project: Enhancing development through diaspora engagement in Armenia
The objective of the consultancy:
Enhance the capacity of the Armenian Government - Office of High Commissioner for Diaspora Affairs to communicate with various segments of Armenian diaspora to support sustainable cooperation for development, encourage sustainable return, repatriation, and investments.
Target: Office of the High Commissioner for Diaspora Affairs of the Prime Minister’s Office of the Republic of Armenia, Armenian diaspora communities, diaspora organizations.
Reports to: Head of Office, IOM Mission in Armenia
Specific Objectives: The international consultant will:
- Develop a Communication Strategy for improved engagement with the Armenian communities abroad for Armenia’s enhanced sustainable development.
- Communication Strategy should clearly define:
- Main from three to five target groups (considering demographic characteristics, country of residence, occupation, etc) in the Armenian diaspora to reach out.
- Specific goals and objectives for each identified target group that the Communication Strategy must pursue.
- Communication messages for each identified target group.
- Main message delivery methods.
- Develop a Communication Plan for each identified target group, which would include objectives, message content, delivery method, frequency.
Tasks to be performed under this contract:
- Conduct desk-research of available literature, data, and resources, including, but not limited to IOM reports “Skills mapping through big data. A case study of the Armenian diaspora in the United States and France” and “Global best practices in diaspora engagement” (to be provided);
- Implement consultations with main stakeholders and assess the needs and main priorities in diaspora communication;
- Analyze the information and produce the Communication Strategy;
- Present preliminary findings/draft Communication Strategy to IOM and Office of the High Commissioner for consultation with national stakeholders for their input and feedback;
- Develop guidance document for the strategy implementation;
- Deliver online training sessions to the staff of the Office of High Commissioner on communication to enlarge the outreach and enhance the scope of engagement with Armenian diaspora communities worldwide;
- Prepare a final report on tasks accomplished;
- Periodically report on the implementation of the activities and results achieved during the consultancy period;
- Meet the deadlines set for the assignments;
Indicative deadlines for the consultancy activities and outputs:
- Identify diaspora key target groups, define proper messages and communication modalities with diaspora – by June 30, 2020
- Develop and submit a first draft of the Armenian diaspora communication strategy – by July 15, 2020
- Develop and submit Communication Plan – by July 30, 2020
- Submit final draft of Armenian diaspora communication strategy – by August 15, 2020
- Prepare and submit a final report on accomplished tasks to IOM – By August 30, 2020.
Required Qualifications and Experiences:
Qualifications and experience
The international expert is expected to have the following competencies and personal qualities:
a. Education: Advanced degree in social science, including diaspora studies, sociology, demography, development, migration studies, public relations and communications or related areas relevant for the assignment.
b. Experience: At least 5 years of proven experience preferably in communication and social research areas;
✓ Proven experience in developing analytical works, preferably in diaspora and/or migration-related fields;
✓ Previous experience in conducting international research including development of communication strategies;
✓ Knowledge and understanding of the relationship between migration and development and diaspora engagement;
✓ Advanced experience in developing communication tools;
✓ Experience in working with international organizations and UN agencies, an advantage;
✓ Previous experience developing reports for governments, an advantage.
c. Competencies and Skills:
✓ Strong analytical, writing and communication skills particularly in the field of communication strategy development;
✓ Good knowledge of the migration & development concept and diaspora as well as remittances themes;
✓ Familiarity with IOM’s mandate;
✓ Good command of oral and written English;
✓ Good knowledge of Armenian language (Eastern and/or Western) is an advantage.
✓ Living and working experience in the Armenian diaspora is an advantage.
d. Personal Qualities and other requirements:
✓ Good interpersonal skills, solid judgment/decision making, initiative and creativity;
✓ Cultural and gender sensitivity;
✓ Adheres to the core values of the United Nations; in particular, is respectful of differences of culture, gender, religion, ethnicity, nationality, language, age, etc.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Respond positively to feedback and differing points of view;
- Demonstrate/safeguard ethics and integrity;
- Focus on result of tasks performed;
- Demonstrate outstanding time-management and interpersonal skills;
- Facilitate and encourage open communication.
Oral and written fluency in English is required.
Working knowledge of Armenian (Eastern and/or Western), Russian, French or Spanish is an advantage.
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. With 173-member states, a further 8 states holding observer status and offices in over 100 countries, IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is part of the UN system as a related organization.
About the Project:
The project aims to support the GoA in developing a coordinated and sustainable diaspora engagement strategy through a phased approach. In order to achieve the project objective and strengthen the role of diaspora in Armenia’s development through effective utilization of its intellectual potential, knowledge and skills necessary for the country’s economic and social modernization and transformation into knowledge and innovation-based economy IOM support implementation of initial diaspora mapping, the study of the international experience of diaspora engagement, as well as the development of a diaspora communications framework.
Performance indicators for the evaluation of results:
- The quality of and the timely completion of deliverables;
- Adequate and prompt provision of the technical inputs, given from IOM and counterparts;
- Timely delivery of drafts and deliverables as indicated by these ToR-s;
- Compliance with IOM House style Guidelines;
- Compliance with IOM Data Protection Principles;
- Adequate demeanour.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their CVs and cover letters by 16 June 2020 at the latest, to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: International Expert/Specialist Diaspora Communication and Outreach.