Somaliland Ministry of Agriculture (SLMoA)
Address of host institution
Sha’ab area in Hargeisa
Name and email address of focal point in host institution
Hodan Ahmed(Maal) Director of Planning Department
Background information about host institution
Somalialnd Ministry of Agriculture (SLMoA) established in May 1991 alongside other ministries following the declaration of independence of Somaliland and establishment of a government. The ministry has charged with the responsibility for reconstruction and development of the agricultural sector whose institutions, infrastructure and farms destroyed during the years of civil strife.
SLMoA has mandated to provide regulatory and technical oversights for steering the provision of core agricultural services to benefit farmers, agricultural companies, investors and the public. However, the SLMoA has not yet approved its agricultural sector policy, rules and regulations, human resource plan and the master plan for reconstruction and development of agricultural sector; these national strategic papers are updated, translated into Somali and they are now ready to be passed to the ministers’ cabinet and to the parliament.
SLMoA is looking for a highly motivated and experienced Management Consultant with organizational development experience. The expert will be responsible to assess the current systems of SLMoA and service delivery at the regional and locality level and articulate recommendations to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery through more efficient institutions.
II. Position Information
Organizational unit/ Department:
Duration of assignment:
3 months with possible extension
III. Objectives of Assignment
The overall objectives of this assignment is to assess the current systems of Somaliland Ministry of Agriculture and service delivery at the regional and locality level and articulate recommendations to increase the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery through more efficient institutions.
- Skill and knowledge transferred to ministry of agriculture staff through on job training.
- Ministry staff and farmer community received practical knowledge in field data collection, analysis and reporting.
- SLMoA staff gained practical knowledge on field crop and fruit and vegetable Value chain assessment.
IV. Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Help develop effective organizational strategies and program objectives aligned with Somaliland National Development Plan 2017 -2022 (SNDP) and Ministry Master Plan (MP) and make them operational.
- To put in place structures and intentions operational by gradually shifting expenditure priorities to reconstruction and development in the Somaliland agriculture sector and make ministry a service oriented institution.
- Help develop effective plan to evaluate annually SLMoA staffing to put in place rationalization standards based on clear job descriptions and qualifications for the positions and restructuring to ensure appropriate staff placement, recruitment (where necessary) and improve motivation and productivity.
- To make plan to re-engineer the current SLMoA departments and sections into functional units with clearly defined functions that are responsive to the needs of the sector as well as improve coordination and cost-effectiveness in the service sector.
- Based on best practice, identify options to optimize the role of SLMoA in carrying out the regional and district level structures, ensuring the promotion of service delivery and providing the legal framework that prioritizes this.
The scope of work is as follows:
- Training and mentoring modules
- Work and activities plan
- Execution of the work plan activities
- Monthly progress reports
The CD4D participant is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
- To make plan to re-engineer current ministry departments and sections into functional units with clearly defined functions that are responsive to the needs of the sector as well as improve coordination and cost-effectiveness in service delivery.
- To write operational plan to define job description of the ministry heads of departments and units, especially the functions of the newly added departments and the responsibilities of their Directors.
- To put on place structure intends to make operations affordable by gradually shifting expenditure priorities to reconstruction and development.
Help develop effective plan to evaluate annually the ministry staffing to put on place rationalization standards based on clear job descriptions and qualifications for the positions in the structure ensuring appropriate staff placement, recruitment (where necessary) and improved motivation and prodoctivity.
- Demonstrate excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic skills and ability to live in rural areas with agro-pastoral community.
- Experience in training in integrated organizational development;
- Evidence of ability to develop training programs;
- Proven record of publications in research in field agro-pastoral.
VI. Education and Experience
The ideal candidate must meet the following requirements;
- PhD OR minimum Master degree in life sciences with management experience.
- At least five years of specific experience working in organizational development and management, preferably in a developing country with major rural economy;
- Experience in training and advising stakeholders and junior employees;
- Five to ten years of relevant professional experience in planning and appraising development projects and promoting rural development, preferably in an African context;
- Evidence of ability to develop training programs;
- Proven record of publications in the agro-pastoral field.
VII. Language requirements
Fluent in written and spoken English and Somali