Land Administration and Horticulture Agency
I. General Information
Name of host institution
Ethiopian Horticulture and Agricultural Investment Authority
Address of host institution
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Name and email address of focal point in host institution
Dr. Adugna Debela, Debuty CEO and President of Ethiopian Horticulture Science Society
Background information about host institution
Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research (EIAR) is a public organization with a mission to conduct research that will provide market competitive agricultural technologies that will contribute to increased agricultural productivity and nutrition quality, sustainable food security, economic development, and conservation of the integrity of natural resources and the environment. Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research (EIAR) has evolved through several stages, following the establishment of agricultural and technical school of Ambo and Jimma. The institute is charged with the responsibility for providing the overall coordination of agricultural research countrywide, & advising Government on agricultural research policy formulation. Besides, the institute is conducting quality research for best contribution to improve food security and market compatibility.
The Natural Resource Research Directorate is one among many of the directorates under the EIAR.
II. Position Information
Organizational unit/ Department
Natural Resource Research Directorate
Duration of assignment
To be determined
III. Objectives of Assignment
- A balanced soil health and fertility system that helps farmers possess and maintain sustained high-quality and fertile soils through the implementation of appropriate soil-management techniques.
- Strengthened formulation and dissemination of soil test-based fertilizer recommendations
- Adequate and appropriate research and management for irrigation related soil
- Technologies will be generated to improve the fertility of soils in Ethiopia and improve fertilizer efficiency
- Water productivity will be improved in particular under irrigated agriculture
- Soil test based fertilizer recommendation will be implemented and popularized
- Food and nutritional security will be improved under integrated approach
IV. Responsibilities and Accountability
Main tasks include:
- Conducting research that can identify major bottlenecks constraining Ethiopian soil fertility and productivity, introduce systematic approach to strengthen soil fertility and health system, etc
- Conducting awareness creation programs on holistic soil fertility and health management system approach
- Provide capacity building trainings and experience sharing sessions to enhance capacity for assessment/ interpretation of soil data
- Estimating Plant Needs & Irrigation Scheduling
- Select an appropriate irrigation system for a given agricultural situation
- Design a simple irrigation system.
- Installation of an irrigation system
- Training on:
- Sustainable agriculture and watershed management
-Measurement of climate and hydrological parameters
-Integrated river basin management
The CD4D participant is expected to demonstrate the following competencies:
Creative thinking, Networking, partnering, communication, result orientation, initiative, team work and the like
A strong knowledge of technology, skill in several diverse science background, skill in problem solving and scientific method, experience (having professional training) ability to adapt knowledge to different
VI. Education and Experience
PhD and above with required years of experience in the related area of specialization
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience
- Knowledge of research methods/techniques, data analysis
- Experience in conducting research, providing short term trainings
- Experience in partnership building
- Demonstrated experience in project management and implementation.
VII. Language requirements
Fluency in English and Amharic is required, Knowledge of other languages is advantageous.